History of Irkutsk State University
Irkutsk State University was founded on October 27, 1918.
It gave the impulse toward the development of higher education in Siberia and Russian Far East. Irkutsk State University became the major educational, scientific and cultural center on the vast territory of Eastern Siberia at once. At first there were only two faculties at the University: the Faculty of History and Philology and the Law Faculty.
|1919||The opening of Eastern Department where Sanskrit, Mongolian, Chinese, Tibetan, and Japanese were taught. Physics-Mathematics Faculty was founded.|
|1920||Medical branch becomes an independent Faculty.|
|1930||Reorganization of the university: medicine, finance-economics, and pedagogy institutes were founded.|
|1941-1945||During the Great Patriotic War more than 100 members of the university staff went to the front.|
|1947||The physics and chemistry scientific research institute was established as a part of the university|
The Geology Faculty was formed.
The Branch of the East-Siberian Academy of Sciences was opened in Irkutsk.
Researchers from the university along with colleagues of the Irkutsk Geological Survey and the Eastern-Siberian branch of the Academy of Sciences took part in the roject resulted in the construction of the hydroelectric power plants in Irkutsk and Bratsk.
|1954||The Law Faculty was opened.|
Computer center equipped with an electronic computing machine (ECM) was opened.
Start of constructing a new university building in Akademgorodok. The building was opened in 1973.
|end of 1960s||A new four-storeyed university building was constructed for four faculties and their departments.|
|1970||The integrated Soviet-Mongolian Khubsugul expedition was launched in conjunction with the university and the Mongolian State University with the active participation of scientists from the Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences and other universities from Irkutsk. The participants in the expedition led a joint study of natural waters of the water basin of the Khubsugul lake and mineral waters of Mongolia. They published the “Atlas of Khubsugul Lake” and the map “Mineral Waters of Mongolia.”|
ISU came under the control of the State Committee of Science and Higher Education of RSFSR (Russia)
|1993||The Faculty of Psychology and Social Work was opened.|
|1998||Baikal Deep Underwater Neutrino Telescope was launched into use and to this day remains the only active telescope of its kind in the world.|
In the Tunkinskaya Valley the wide-angled cherenkovsky installation for applied physics was commissioned.
The Interregional Institute of Social Sciences was formed to carry-out the project “Siberia in Russia and the World: Calls for Strategies for Development.”
ISU, along with 55 other universities in Russia, won the contest organized by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation for the support of programs for the strategic
development. The program provided support for scientific research and creation of a scientific-education complex in conjunction with the institutes of the Irkutsk scientific center
of the Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences.
The Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation announced the inclusion of the Irkutsk State Pedagogical Institute under ISU.